Re: oracle and database ebooks

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 09:37:25 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 31, 5:37 am, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 07:46:30 -0800, Mark D Powell wrote:
> > which in turn lead me to a page with the 11g OCP test requirements for
> > database associate, professional, and master listed at
>
> How can I become a DBA 2.0? I am an old hack, very well versed in log
> files, various forms of Unix, Perl, PHP, event based tuning and I would
> need to surgically remove approximately 50% of my brain in order to
> attain that glorious goal.

Not really. Just realize the tools have different purposes, and there's nothing wrong with using pretty pictures to make yourself look good to those who don't fully understand. Keep a window open with the performance tab going, people think you are conscientiously monitoring while you do the real work in your command line windows and alerts. No problem, only solutions. Sometimes seeing the color change out of the corner of your eye or from a distance during a hallway conference can even help. People can be real impressed when you switch from something they think they understand but vaguely comprehend that they really don't, to guru mode beyond their pale, especially when you explain things as you go along, and they understand it for a few glorious seconds until they go mad like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_(Doctor_Who) .

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://idle.slashdot.org/story/09/12/30/166220/USPTO-Awards-LOL-Patent-To-IBM