Re: there is an error in comments

From: Mark D Powell <>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 06:12:24 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 21, 7:45 am, Daneel Yaitskov <> wrote:
> Hi List,
> I use Oracle 10 XE. I'm a student. When I wrote my lab then I had found
> that Oracle alerts about an error for the line:
> call echo('dddddd'); -- comment
> But it processes normally this line without the comment:
> call echo('dddddd');
> The PL script is entirely:
> set serveroutput on;
> create or replace  procedure echo(msg varchar ) as
> begin
>      dbms_output.put_line (msg);
> end;
> /
> call echo('dddddd'); -- comment
> -- the end of script
> P.S. I have finished  study of Oracle and my opinion have been
> apparently get negative. It doesn't concern Oracle's performance or
> one's stability for overloads because I made only simple demo jobs.
> Therefore I cannot say about it. But as Oracle's user say to work very
> uncomfortable with Oracle.
> PL translator works rather silent and doesn't show a precise line number
> with an error.
> Daneel Yaitskov.

You need to turn serveroutput on in the session that calls you test procedure.

[sqlplus example]
set serveroutput on size n
execute ech('TESTECHO')

Also be aware that package dbms_output was actually introduced as a debugging tool, It does not issue output until the routine terminates. There are better options available for reporting namely pro* languages and the utl_file package. Package dbms_output has routines to support its use by non-interactive applications.

Oracle provides a free development environment and there are several other free and commercial tools that provide line by line debugging capabilities. The PL/SQL errors are no worse than what you get from a 'C' compiller.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Dec 21 2009 - 08:12:24 CST

Original text of this message