Re: Error while rebuilding a text index

From: joel garry <>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:47:38 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 10, 11:36 am, Mladen Gogala <> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:18:10 -0800, joel garry wrote:
> > "This will de-fragment the $X index for fastest access. If you want to
> > be able to continue to run queries while this is happening, you should
> > append the ONLINE keyword. "
> Unless the index is not normal.It doesn't apply to bitmap indexes, for
> instance. Domain indexes also require special considerations.
> --

Of course, the quote has lost the, shall we say, context of the paper. The X$ index is a b-tree index. I'm wondering about reconciling this quote with your quote "ONLINE enables you to continue to perform updates, inserts, and deletes on a base table. It does not enable you to query the base table. " Since I don't work with this stuff, it's all academic to me, but one never knows when one will be blindsided by it. I may be misunderstanding the paper, docs or the OP, but something doesn't add up.

-- is bogus.
"...don't bend reality to your ideals - real life works the other way
around." - Noons