Re: What exception catching methods should be used with Pro*C?

From: joel garry <>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 08:59:16 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 22, 7:59 am, Ramon F Herrera <> wrote:
> On Nov 22, 10:47 am, Ramon F Herrera <> wrote:
> > My application assembles SQL queries at run time, using C++ (a
> > language which is very good at error handling, based on the
> > try...catch statement) and executes them in C, more specifically using
> > Oracle Pro*C.
> > I have doubts about the error handling methods to be applied. I am
> > trying to figure out how to catch any error while the Pro*C code is
> > being executed and to pass them upstream to the C++ layer. I must add
> > that the application is a never-ending server and therefore it must
> > not crash or even "exit()" upon failure.
> > Your comments/pointers are most appreciated and welcome.
> > TIA,
> > -Ramon
> I have been using a couple of error catching statements:
>  - EXEC SQL WHENEVER SQLERROR DO sql_error("ORACLE error--\n");
>  - EXEC SQL WHENEVER NOT FOUND DO user_not_found();
> and I was wondering if there is anything else that I could take
> advantage of.
> TIA,
> -RFH
There are some pointers to other places with suggestions here:

-- is bogus.
"I'd like to invite you to join my neighborhood network on
MerchantCircle. MerchantCircle helps me build stronger relationships
with the other businesses in our neighborhood. It's been a big help
for me to get referrals and to reach customers. It's exciting to see
local community take shape online, so I hope you'll connect with me
and Holistic Health &amp; Medical Marijuana Dispensary! It's free to
and only takes a minute to sign up and connect." - What I get for
signing up with MerchantCircle.