WAN Connection Issue

From: Alinux <alijawad1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:24:38 -0800 (PST)

Hi All

I have a OCI client on a LAMP server where PHP creates a connection to a Oracle 8i server on a remote location through a WAN link.

If I take my laptop which contains a virtual machine that is a clone of the LAMP server I can connect at the client's remote WAN link.

However, if I do try to create an Oracle connection on the LAMP server or through my Laptop on the LAMP server location. I get the following error:

ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor

I doubt it is a config error since it does work on the remote client's location. So I am looking more towards some network issue.

The client has opened port 1521. However, when I do a tcpdump I also notice that the php client is trying to access the server on another random port. I did some googeling and there seem to be some workarounds on this. One thing that is out of question is to open all ports on the firewall. The solutions I found are:

There are three workarounds
- set up connection manager on the database server

  • set up mts on the database server to a fixed port
  • set use_shared_sockets = true

I am not much of a Oracle guy, however I need to provide some concrete instructions to the db admins about what they should do on the server side to solve this.

Which of the 3 solutions above is a server side solution and any more detailed instructions about it ?

Regards Received on Tue Nov 10 2009 - 13:24:38 CST

Original text of this message