Joys of Linux

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 05:22:29 +0000 (UTC)

Last night, I upgraded my CentOS from 5.3 --> 5.4. Of course, there is no upgrade for unixODBC, but there is a ton of other upgrades. Result:

[mgogala_at_medo work]$ isql ora10 scott tiger

| Connected!                            |
| sql-statement                         |
| help [tablename]                      |
| quit                                  |
SQL> select * from user_tables;
isql: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/oracle/10.2.0.3/client/lib// libsqora.so.10.1: undefined symbol: _VEC_memzero
[mgogala_at_medo work]$

This used to work and now it doesn't. As 10g ODBC drivers are no longer supported, there is nobody to complain to. Of course, the 11g drivers are incompatible with the current release of the unixODBC driver manager:

[mgogala_at_medo work]$ isql ora11 scott tiger
isql: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/oracle/11.2/client/lib/ libsqora.so.11.1: undefined symbol: SQLGetPrivateProfileStringW
[mgogala_at_medo work]$

The trick would be to pull the latest source and run

./configure prefix=/usr

but that would mess up the installed packages system and instantaneously render the whole thing unsupported. I am eagerly awaiting somebody to create the much needed RPM packages and put them into one of the available repositories. I am downloading the DVD with Oracle EL 5.4, in order to see whether it has the right version of the driver manager. Fortunately, RR is rather fast and that will be done quickly.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com