Re: Backup Oracle, With or Without RMAN

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:42:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 17, 12:06 am, Fabrice <t..._at_test.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering if I have to use RMAN today.
> Sorry for my long post, but I have a "big" interrogation with rman.
> thanks.
>
> 1. For the moment, I backup my database without RMAN : but with commands of
> the system files.
>
> --> Every night the database is stopped by a shutdown immediate. All the
> files of my production database are copied via network on a third backup
> server (The server is in an other place).

So, what happens if there is some big rollback going on? Do you kill off processes to be sure nothing will stop it from going down? Do you ever have to shutdown abort? Which version/platform, anyways?

> I keep one week of backup set.
>
> Each days my backup set is : all the datafiles, the controlfiles, the
> redologs, the redologs archieved, init and pfile , and password file.
>
> Beside that, I realize some logical export that I can imort in another
> database. I have also a physical standby.
>
> Today, If my production server crash, I tell me that I can buy a new server,
> reinstall Oracle with the same configuration and get a set of my backup
> from the network by copying the file in their place.
> I'don't speak about my standby. In my mind I have always a set of all the
> files of the production database in other place and physical cold files.
>
> 2. Can I do the same thing with RMAN.
> I'm not conformtable with it.
> In my mind RMAN is a black hole.

Well, that's more a reflection of your mind, eh? :-)

Think about what RMAN stands for: Recovery Manager. Recovery is more important than backup, right?

Check out the 10g basic recovery manual.

> --> If I want to realize a cold backup of my database (as in the point 1)
> and keep all the files of my prod database in a third server, is it
> possible ?

You don't really have to do cold backups. You can if you want, but don't be scared of fuzziness. They've pretty much figured it out by now!

> For me, it seems that RMAN backup on a local disk ? What do do you do if the
> server is out ? In the worst scenario, can we get the files backup by RMAN
> without RMAN and copy by commands of the system file all the files (backup
> with rman) of the database in an other server with the same configuration.
> Do RMAN realise a copy of the files of the database ?
> Can we apply a full backup of a database in an another server (for example a
> rebuild server) with an new and clean installation.

Not only that, but at least in the newer versions there are capabilities to make it simpler. Duplicate database is real handy for some things.

> Example :
> . You backup your database all the day. A full backup with RMAN.
> --> (Where do you put the files ?)

You can tell it where, or use the 10gR2 style flash recovery area: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14196/backrest001.htm#sthref622 I've found that is really handy, it not only works simply and reliably once you understand all the idiosyncrasies for your own configuration, but there is also a population out there of people who understand it too.

My overgeneralized opinion is, 9i maybe yes, maybe no if you have something working and tested, 10g definitely RMAN unless you have some special reason not to. (But I agree with hpuxrac about the storage solution, if you have that).

> . The third day, the server is out. You can't restart it.
> . You have an another physical server.
> . You realize a new installation of Oracle 10g.
> . You install the same instance, same configuration, name and location for
> the files.
> . Now can you get the files backup with rman and put it in place to restart
> the instance and have a database in the time of the last nigt backup.

Yeah, my boss wants Oracle to work like dbase, too. All this newfangled transactional backups, who needs it? :-)

> For the moment I can do that with my copy of all my files.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Fabrice

I'm getting about 10:1 compression with the standard 10gR2 backup, very fast, compressed files are faster to move around networks, too.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm186861.htm