Re: What character are valid in the name of a table?

From: The Boss <usenet_at_No.Spam.Please.invalid>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 00:46:07 +0200

Phil Herring wrote:
> On Sep 22, 12:30 am, Mark D Powell <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com> wrote:
>
>> You will also create a nightmare for maintenance. I strongly suggest
>> sticking to the use of A - Z, 0 - 9, and underscore to all database
>> object names. [&c.]
>
> Sure. And Oracle recommend sticking to ASCII. And I get pretty annoyed
> with people who use mixed case where it isn't appropriate. I've even
> inherited code (I think it originated in a SQL Server system) that had
> spaces in table and column names. Irritating.
>
> However, if the question is "What characters are valid?", the answer
> is still: "anything you can type with the keyboard in front of you".

Not entirely true. From the link I provided earlier:

<q>
Nonquoted identifiers can contain only alphanumeric characters from your database character set and the underscore (_), dollar sign ($), and pound sign (#). Database links can also contain periods (.) and "at" signs (_at_). Oracle strongly discourages you from using $ and # in nonquoted identifiers.

Quoted identifiers can contain any characters and punctuations marks as well as spaces. However, neither quoted nor nonquoted identifiers can contain double quotation marks or the null character (\0).

</q>

--
Jeroen