Re: What character are valid in the name of a table?

From: Mark D Powell <>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 06:37:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 21, 6:29 pm, Phil Herring <> wrote:
> On Sep 22, 12:30 am, Mark D Powell <> wrote:
> > You will also create a nightmare for maintenance.  I strongly suggest
> > sticking to the use of A - Z, 0 - 9, and underscore to all database
> > object names.  [&c.]
> Sure. And Oracle recommend sticking to ASCII. And I get pretty annoyed
> with people who use mixed case where it isn't appropriate. I've even
> inherited code (I think it originated in a SQL Server system) that had
> spaces in table and column names. Irritating.
> However, if the question is "What characters are valid?", the answer
> is still: "anything you can type with the keyboard in front of you".
> -- Phil

My answer was directed to the serious adverse consequences of not sticking to the standard non-quoted identifiers as detailed in the SQL manual, which you had said were technically valid. It is a very bad idea.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Sep 22 2009 - 08:37:40 CDT

Original text of this message