Re: broken again?

From: Mark D Powell <>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 07:10:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 18, 4:32 pm, joel garry <> wrote:
> On Sep 18, 10:01 am, Palooka <> wrote:
> > On 18/09/09 16:56, joel garry wrote:> I gave up keeping it local, 'cause then I have to keep it updated on
> > > multiple computers.  I do feel silly when the site is down, though.
> > Which begs the obvious question: Why not update it on one and do a
> > network share - NFS or whatever?
> > Palooka
> That's what I do at work for other things like the app manuals, but
> since I'm the only one who uses Oracle, it's pointless.  Or more
> accurately, I'm the only one who uses Oracle who reads manuals
> locally, I would hope people connecting from elsewhere would use them
> local to themselves, or more accurately, use them.  Work admins are
> generally pretty competent, but they do things different than I would,
> it winds up being a hassle, so I only do the hassle when I have to
> (working on an EDI project right now that spotlights those kinds of
> problems, like security anomalies between Windows and unix over NFS).
> Same thing at home, why network share for myself?  I can hardly keep
> all my configs updated as little things like Compuserve come and go.
> Harumph.
> jg
> --
> is bogus.
> Will the HURD displace Linux as the most popular free OS?

I keep the manual copy on my work PC. Since I access all our Oracles via telnet from my PC it provides one centralized location that is always available to me while I am at work. This seems like a good backup to online access. I also keep a set on my home PC for use when I VPN into work and since while doing so Internet access is not available to me.

  • Mark D Powell --