UPDATE - Ora-19906 when restoring user managed backup - stumped!

From: gs <gs_at_gs.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 16:56:43 GMT

gs wrote:
> Hemant K Chitale wrote:
>> Check if you rebuilt the controlfile properly and that the newly
>> created controlfile IS in use for the Recovery, not an older
>> controlfile.
>>

>> Hemant K Chitale
>> http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com

> checked all that, all was ok, done this process many times, just this
> time I was getting error. Finally was able to apply redo and open
> database with resetlogs, but only after I set the database incarnation
> to 1 with and RMAN command. Not sure why this was necessary this
> particular time though. Opened an SR and uploaded alert logs etc.. from
> prod and test db's, will see if they come up with any useful info..

Oracles answer was when I try and recreate the controlfile with resetlogs (or open database with resetlogs) a new incarnation is created, and ends up being an orphan incarnation. Read more about it in doc id 577820.1

Setting db incarnation to 1 fixed the problem for me, but the note says to recreate the controlfile to get around this error, which I did and that alone did not work. In any case I am up and running now, still puzzled as to why this never happened before though... Received on Wed Sep 16 2009 - 11:56:43 CDT

Original text of this message