Re: Licensing - Processors versus sockets versus cores

From: Shakespeare <>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 21:54:34 +0200

BD schreef:
> Hey, all.
> My Oracle Sales rep isn't picking up, and I'm losing my marbles trying
> to get a consistent answer to this question.
> Re. Licensing and hardware support of Database 10g R2 - Standard
> Versus Enterprise.
> I need to understand the maximum number of CPUs that Standard will
> support. I'm seeing CPUs, Processors, Cores and Sockets all batted
> about in the documentation, and it's unclear to me what the
> limitations are.
> My server is 4 quad-core Intel CPUs. 16 cores total. I've seen the
> licensing doc that discusses the fact that Licensing of Oracle on such
> servers is calculated based on the total number of cores /2.
> But: It's unclear to me how many cores the Standard software supports.
> Note 271886.1 says that Standard maxes out at 4 'Processors'. Is that
> to be taken to mean physical sockets, or processor cores? A reference
> to a technote that makes this distinction would be greatly
> appreciated!
> Thanks!
> BD

Standard Edition is licensed for machines of max 4 SOCKETS. No matter if you filled them or not. So 8 sockets, 4 filled and 4 empty is not allowed. For Standard Edition and Standard Edition One, a (licensed) CPU is equal to a socket, so there's no core count and factor for these licenses. So you never pay more than 4 CPUs for Standard Edition. Note that licenses count FILLED sockets....

Check out anyway if it is cheaper to buy named user plus....

Here's a quote from Oracle:
(.. Start of quote ..)
Oracle Database Standard Edition only can be licensed on servers that have a maximum capacity of 4 sockets.
Oracle Standard Edition One may only be licensed on servers that have a maximum capacity of 2 sockets.
The number of required licenses shall be determined by multiplying the total number of cores of the processor by a core processor licensing factor specified on the Oracle Processor Core Factor Table which can be accessed at All cores on all multicore chips for each licensed program are to be aggregated before multiplying by the appropriate core processor licensing factor and all fractions of a number are to be rounded up to the next whole number. *When licensing Oracle programs with Standard Edition One or Standard Edition in the product name, a processor is counted equivalent to an occupied socket;* however, in the case of multi-chip modules, each chip in the multi-chip module is counted as one occupied socket. (.. end of quote...)

The only doubtful part is 'multi-chip' modules, but an Oracle Salesman assured me this is not equivalent to 'multi core'.

For the full version, see

Shakespeare Received on Fri Aug 14 2009 - 14:54:34 CDT

Original text of this message