Re: Licensing - Processors versus sockets versus cores

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 21:54:34 +0200

BD schreef:
> Hey, all.
>
> My Oracle Sales rep isn't picking up, and I'm losing my marbles trying
> to get a consistent answer to this question.
>
> Re. Licensing and hardware support of Database 10g R2 - Standard
> Versus Enterprise.
>
> I need to understand the maximum number of CPUs that Standard will
> support. I'm seeing CPUs, Processors, Cores and Sockets all batted
> about in the documentation, and it's unclear to me what the
> limitations are.
>
> My server is 4 quad-core Intel CPUs. 16 cores total. I've seen the
> licensing doc that discusses the fact that Licensing of Oracle on such
> servers is calculated based on the total number of cores /2.
>
> But: It's unclear to me how many cores the Standard software supports.
>
> Note 271886.1 says that Standard maxes out at 4 'Processors'. Is that
> to be taken to mean physical sockets, or processor cores? A reference
> to a technote that makes this distinction would be greatly
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
>
> BD

Standard Edition is licensed for machines of max 4 SOCKETS. No matter if you filled them or not. So 8 sockets, 4 filled and 4 empty is not allowed. For Standard Edition and Standard Edition One, a (licensed) CPU is equal to a socket, so there's no core count and factor for these licenses. So you never pay more than 4 CPUs for Standard Edition. Note that licenses count FILLED sockets....

Check out anyway if it is cheaper to buy named user plus....

Here's a quote from Oracle:
(.. Start of quote ..)
Oracle Database Standard Edition only can be licensed on servers that have a maximum capacity of 4 sockets.
(...)
Oracle Standard Edition One may only be licensed on servers that have a maximum capacity of 2 sockets.
(...)
The number of required licenses shall be determined by multiplying the total number of cores of the processor by a core processor licensing factor specified on the Oracle Processor Core Factor Table which can be accessed at http://oracle.com/contracts. All cores on all multicore chips for each licensed program are to be aggregated before multiplying by the appropriate core processor licensing factor and all fractions of a number are to be rounded up to the next whole number. *When licensing Oracle programs with Standard Edition One or Standard Edition in the product name, a processor is counted equivalent to an occupied socket;* however, in the case of multi-chip modules, each chip in the multi-chip module is counted as one occupied socket. (.. end of quote...)

The only doubtful part is 'multi-chip' modules, but an Oracle Salesman assured me this is not equivalent to 'multi core'.

For the full version, see http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/sig.pdf

Shakespeare Received on Fri Aug 14 2009 - 14:54:34 CDT

Original text of this message