Re: Put Oracle 8i standby in managed recovery

From: steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada <steven_nospam_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 14:12:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 14, 9:52 am, "Fabrice" <emouc..._at_spaminfonietest.fr> wrote:
> I'm afraid of the stop of the production database if Oracle can not archive
> its redologs because the remote localisation is unreachable.
>
> thanks
> fabrice

We have been using Oracle 8i for some time, and (like Joel mentioned) we have had a few rare cases where a problem on the standby server actually caused the production system to halt. But these really don't happen that often. I can count on one hand the number of times that happened on the five servers we have that are using standby databases.

Your concerns about not using NET8 seem to focus on what happens to the production system if the archive logs do not make it to the standby system. But I believe that you can set up replication so that a successful copy to the standby server is not required, or at least won't cause the production system to crash or hang if unreachable.

We use the following settings in our init.ora file:

LOG_ARCHIVE_START = true
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1 ='location=/oraarclog/SID01'
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 ='location=/oraarclogm/SID01'
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_3 ='service=standby reopen=60'
LOG_ARCHIVE_FORMAT = "SID01_%t%s.arc"
LOG_ARCHIVE_MIN_SUCCEED_DEST = 2

In this way, we have two copies of the archive log on our production system (on separate disks/controllers) and one copy that gets shipped over to the standby system. If any single copy is not successfully written, the system does not complain. And usually, that copy would be the one that is trying to be transferred across the network.

Of course, if the standby server does not receive its log or requests a subsequent log before it finishes receiving the current one, managed recovery stops on our server and waits for us to correct it. To address that, we have a utility that goes out and compares the applied logs on both copies every few hours, then sends us an email alert to tell us if they are more than two logs out of sync.

There are probably easier ways or better ways, as we don't have any Oracle DBAs here, at least none officially certified. But you can perhaps look into this and review any feedback others give on our setup.

Steve Received on Fri Aug 14 2009 - 16:12:55 CDT

Original text of this message