Re: ASSM bug: slow INSERT after uncomitted DELETE

From: Jonathan Lewis <>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 17:26:46 +0100

"John Hurley" <> wrote in message On Aug 7, 6:35 am, ca111026 <> wrote:

>Thanks for the complete writeup.
>I tried your test case. My system is an Enterprise Edition
>64 bit system on OEL 5.2 64 bit. It has 32 gig of RAM and a very nice
>IO subsystem. Using ASM for storage.
>My times to complete steps 4 and 6 ( yes from different sessions )
>were the same basically ... not different times as you reported. My
>testing was done using Toad going into the database thru network not
>locally on the database server using sqlplus. My times were more like
>3 secs than 1 ( as your first step 4 was ).
>I can repeat again eventually using sqlplus locally if you want to
>know if that changes anything.
>I do have one system back at that I can eventually also test

Given Charles comments about his timing on, how did you do the 1,000 single row inserts ? Was it 1,000 separate statements, or a pl/sql loop with 1,000 inserts and commits inside the loop /

If the latter (or some Toad equivalent of the latter) that would explain why you don't see the problem.

Jonathan Lewis

Author: Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ