Re: ASSM bug: slow INSERT after uncomitted DELETE

From: John Hurley <>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 08:38:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 8, 11:04 am, Charles Hooper <> wrote:

> > Thanks for testing on It is nice to know that they finally
> > fixed the bug.
> My test in your related thread indicates that the problem may still be
> present in
> In my test, I saw results which were consistent with what you
> experienced, which resulted from multiple waits on 'db file sequential
> read' with sub 1ms access times for each insert in the second
> session.  However, due to the number of 'db file sequential read'
> waits, a fairly consistent 69,802 per row inserted, each insert
> required roughly 20 seconds.
> John's post made be a bit curious, so I started performing a couple
> tests.

Charles I got a little lost trying to follow your reply ... sorry.

Wonder if I either screwed something up ( I don't think so ... was careful to check tablespace was ASSM and that inserts were in different sessions ) or if there is something fixed in in linux 64 bit that still has problems on other platforms and/or if the fact that my setup is using ASM is also throwing a wrinkle into things?

Noons seemed to report that he did not see the same problem either but I think that was before the complete test case was posted. Received on Sat Aug 08 2009 - 10:38:10 CDT

Original text of this message