Re: possible nomination for oracle wtf

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 14:23:46 +0200

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 16:21:59 -0700 (PDT), hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>This is from a blog of someone that I think is ( perhaps ) an Oracle
>ACE ...
>
>http://prodlife.wordpress.com/
>
>So they have a system going live "soon" with EXCEPTION when others
>apparently all over the place. Looks like it started blowing up ...
>and surprise ... they don't know why.
>
>Too bad no one has ever warned about what happens with systems built
>like this eh?

I'm not sure in what kind of ideal world you assume to live. In most production code I have dealt with the last 10 years exception when others then null is *STANDARD*. This means *ALL* ( I repeat *ALL*) major consultancies like Capgemini etc (*including* Oracle!) produce this kind of code. And usually, as a DBA, you are in *NO* position to address this issue!
Also, if you would have read the blog entry carefully, you would have known Chen Shapira had to replace a colleague. You shouldn't bash her, and even if you would like to bash her you should do that on her blog, not here. It exposes you as a coward.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA