Re: Basic Scripts for Database Administration

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 05:10:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 24, 8:35 pm, exazonk <exaz..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> I guess there are many ways to skin a cat, but there are probably only
> a few that are the most efficient.
>
> It is interesting finding out how people admin their databases as each
> DBA probably thinks that they have the best method.
>
> I'm just wondering if there are any good sites that focus on
> production DBA stuff on a large amount of databases spread out over a
> lot of servers.

There's a bunch bunch of oracle DBA related sites but the work is sifting thru the good stuff from the not so good stuff and the crud. My recommendation is to stay away from anything Burleson related.

> If you just got a new job in which you inherited 10 servers, with 10
> databases on each server, and no administration for the databases
> existed yet, what approach would you take to providing DBA support?
> Assume the databases are equally divided among windows and unix
> servers and range in version from 9i, 10g to 11g.

Is that what happened to you or are you posing theoreticals?

Hire someone immediately with appropriate skills and experience if you don't have that set of knowledge would be my 1st recommendation.

> Health checks would obviously be needed for things like disk space,
> tablespaces, log monitoring, load monitoring, statspack, Data Guard
> etc.

Dude this whole area has been discussed time after time after time in this newsgroup.

If you want to locate old relevant discussions here you can use the google groups interface and search the old postings. Received on Thu Jun 25 2009 - 07:10:46 CDT

Original text of this message