Re: I installed Oracle 11g in my home PC. I am trying to open the

From: John Hurley <>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:21:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 12, 2:56 pm, (Malcolm Dew-Jones) wrote:

> : > Windows %ORACLE_HOME% must be new for 11g. =A0
> : > set oracle_home=3D
> : > for %%i in (%PATH%) do if %oracle_home%.=3D=3D. if exist %%i\sqlplus.exe =
> : set
> : Some operating systems are more sensitive to case ( lower/upper ) than
> : other ones.
> uh, yes, but the above is for Windows which doesn't care about case.
> I have never seen an oracle install on windows which resulted in an
> environment variable called ORACLE_HOME being available (upper or lower
> case).  If you wish to write a general purpose batch file that runs on
> Windows that references the oracle home then it has to find it itself.
> The one environment variable that is always set up by the Windows oracle
> install is PATH, and the home can be determined from that.
> The things installed by Oracle in Windows (batch files, short cuts, etc)
> all have the path hard coded into them.
> Anyway, perhaps that has changed in 11g.

Could be I don't really do anything with oracle on windows.

I was trying to point out that the comment someone made about ORACLE_HOME on windows could easily have also meant oracle_home since windows is not case sensitive ... guess I did a bad job in attempting to point that out. Received on Fri Jun 12 2009 - 14:21:23 CDT

Original text of this message