Re: Solaris x86 & Oracle

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 14:12:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 5, 12:58 pm, johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net wrote:
> On Jun 5, 3:36 pm, "gym dot scuba dot kennedy at gmail"
>
> <kenned..._at_verizon.net> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> JBH wrote ...
>
> .> When oracle is not providing patches and patchsets and new releases
> of
> .> software on certain platforms on a timely basis ( versus other
> .> platforms ) ... one really has to question whether one wants to run
> .> production systems on that platform.
> .>
> .> The dynamics of that whole question with solaris x86 ( really x86
> 64
> .> for all serious consideration ) are not back in question.
>
> JBH actually meant to say ( NOW back in question ) ... in other words
> since oracle is buying sun maybe solaris x86 will start getting
> support and timely maintenance.

Aren't typos fun? :-)

I can't help but think this very conversation is happening somewhere in the bowels of Oracle, if it hasn't been given a death knell as part of cost cutting already. Perhaps one shining knight solaris fanboy could save the day, if they haven't all left already.

> Kennedy replied ...
>
> Yes, that is why we got off this platform.  We were always several
> patch
>  levels behind and could not get current patches or could get them 9
> to 12
>  months later.  We moved to a mainstream Linux OS. (supported).

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2009-March/msg00010.html