Re: 10g Database not starting after applying patch

From: <>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 08:45:16 -0700 (PDT)

On 12 May, 16:28, "oracle, old sherwoodian" <> wrote:
> Hello,
> I initially installed version of the database and then
> applied the patch successfully.
> Now i cannot get the database started. I get this error:
> ORA-12505: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in
> connect descriptor (DBD ERROR: OCIServerAttach)
> I've not changed anything. If fact, i made a copy of the listner.ora
> and tnsname.ora file and they both are identical.
> Please help.
> Girish.

What O/S? What happens if you try a bequeath connection?

i.e. Assuming UNIX:

$ set ORACLE_SID=<database sid>
$ sqlplus / as sysdba;

SQL> startup;

I suspect that the listener doesn't know the status of the database as, presumably, it's down.

HTH -g Received on Tue May 12 2009 - 10:45:16 CDT

Original text of this message