RMAN: Delete obsolete backups but not obsolete archivelogs

From: <healdv_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 12:44:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I want to delete only obsolete backups and not archivelogs due to the fact that we have a 2 stage backup process, first to disk, then to tape and I have 2 archive log locations, 1 on SAN and another on local disk, so I wouldn't want to put all my eggs in one basket and keep my backed up archive logs on the local disk in case there is a failure before they get off to tape and in the case the tape backup fails, because my RMAN disk backup area is on local disk.

I dont want to set recovery window to +7 days because I cant keep this many backups on disk due to the size, although I can keep the logs.

I want to handle the archived logs myself by using something like: delete archivelog all until 'sysdate-7'

Here is my backup script:

run
{
crosscheck archivelog all;
crosscheck backup;
crosscheck copy;
backup database;
backup archivelog all not backed up 2 times keep until time 'SYSDATE +7';
restore database validate;
delete noprompt archivelog until time 'SYSDATE-7'; delete noprompt obsolete;
sql "create pfile from spfile";
sql "alter database backup controlfile to trace"; }

If anyone knows any way of doing this just using RMAN please let me know.

Thanks

Vinni Received on Wed May 06 2009 - 14:44:58 CDT

Original text of this message