Re: Log files tuning

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 10:55:50 -0700 (PDT)

On May 6, 9:54 am, The Boss <nlt..._at_baasbovenbaas.demon.nl> wrote:
> On 5 mei, 07:56, Shakespeare <what..._at_xs4all.nl> wrote:
> <...>
>

> > You have to DISABLE (not remove) the have-to-pay-for options in EM.
> > Oracle Police check if you did. Having spent 15+ years of dealing with
> > Oracle License Cops. I think I know them too well....
>
> This would imply that Oracle forces every single customer to install
> software most of them probably don't need (Enterprise Manager) just to
> disable functionality they also don't need but is forced upon them by
> default.
> It is beyond me why Oracle just can't disable all have-to-pay-for
> options by default, and let any user that needs them enable them via
> EM, or better still via a separate license key.

NONONONONO! No license keys! NONONONO!

(You can guess why I have such a reaction! A hint - problems going back decades!)

> > We just had a situation where options were disabled in 9i, but after
> > migrating to 10g were (optically) enabled in EM. Oracle found out and
> > tried to charge, but we finally succeeded in proving the options were
> > not used.......
>
> I'm no lawyer, but I don't think this will hold in most courts.
> Remember: "Not guilty, unless proven otherwise".
> So the burden of proof is upon Oracle.

In US courts, there is a division between criminal and civil law. The "unless proven otherwise" only is criminal law, civil law is "preponderance of the evidence." Then there is a commercial code and its whole set of issues, and of course with licensing we are talking about contract law too. And of course with Oracle we talk about very large gorillas and very small print and grey areas. Good conscience? Pshaw. Dis is bidnes.

This is why you have people adjudged not guilty, but lose bigtime in civil court later - google OJ Simpson for a notorious example. He finally went to jail not because he murdered his wife and her friend, but because he was so notorious someone in Las Vegas got ahold of some of his stuff and he went with some friends to go get it. If he hadn't been so stupid, he'd still be sitting in his mansion thumbing his nose at his victims families and the $30M+ he owes them, collecting $25K/ month pension. I would've bought his "If I Did It" book as a guilty pleasure, I'm almost ashamed to admit, if it were ever published. (Apologies to anyone sick of OJ).

jg

---
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://kernelnewbies.org/WhyReiser4IsNotIn