Re: Help understanding an oracle text search term

From: Bobby Z. <>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 02:24:41 -0700 (PDT)

On May 6, 12:35 am, wrote:
> I have a varchar2 column (col2) and I've created an CTXSYS.CONTEXT
> index for it (using the empty stoplist).
> I'm running a query that has
>    ... AND  CONTAINS(col2, 'G"%') > 0
> This results in an error "DRG-51030: wildcard query expansion resulted
> in too many terms"
> But if I change the search term to 'G%' (without the double-quote)
> then I don't get the error.
> I'm trying to understand why the double-quote causes the error and
> what it means in a CONTAINS search.
> Is a double-quote special in a CONTAINS search?
> Thanks,
> Kevin.

Oracle version? And yes, double-quotes have special meaning in Text queries, especially for XML-specific HASPATH/INPATH functions. Since double-quote is a punctuation character and as such can not be part of any word, your 'G"%' query is actually meaningless, so no wonder the query parser throws DRG-51030 back at you.

   Vladimir M. Zakharychev
   N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm) Received on Wed May 06 2009 - 04:24:41 CDT

Original text of this message