Re: Log files tuning

From: Michael Austin <>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:24:00 -0500

ddf wrote:
> On Apr 30, 8:25 am, Mark D Powell <> wrote:

>> On Apr 30, 9:06 am, BeginnerDBA <> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>> By using Oracle Enterprise Manager I can tune my database..I have been
>>> using it on Windows, however not yet on Unix, I am looking for some
>>> you think recommendable installing EM on Unix or WISE
>>> product, I was hearing about it, but honestly I don't know how much
>>> usefull would be.
>>> One more thing....Would you mind giving me some guide how can I tune
>>> it in the meanwhile??? is growing so fast.
>>> Thank you.
>> You do not need EM to tune your database nor do you have to have a
>> license for the EM Performance Pack so that you can use the AWR. You
>> can tune the database using SQLPlus, statspack, and the information
>> available to you in the Oracle Performance and Tuning manual, the
>> Oracle version# Reference manual, and the DBA Administration manual.
>> You can install and configure EM to access your UNIX server based
>> Oracle databases if you wish. EM is a nice product but it is only a
>> tool and sometimes the designers lowest common denominator approach
>> does not result in the best advice being issued from some of the EM
>> features. Unless the pricing has changed on the Performance packs it
>> is also expensive.
>> The fact that you database is rapidly growing may be a space
>> management issue, and will likely be an applicaiton SQL tunign issue,
>> but is not in itself a database tuning issue. There are several rdbms
>> data dictionary views that exist to help manage space including:
>> dba_segments, dba_data_files, dba_free_space, dba_extents, and
>> dba_temp_files.
>> The best advice anyone can give you is to read the Oracle manuals:
>> Concepts, DBA Admin, Backup and Recovery, first few chapters of SQL
>> manual, Performance and Tuning, and so on until you have read all the
>> manuals that cover the features you use.
>> There is no substitute for knowledge.
>> HTH -- Mark D Powell --
> I do not find a 'Performance Pack' offered; I do find a 'Diagnostic
> Pack' which provides access to the Automatic Workload Repository, and
> that pack does require a license:

A company that I am aware of had the DiagPack included for free because you cannot NOT install parts of it, nor can you remove it from 10g on... And the for new "phone-home" support to function, it must be installed - comes "free" with your support contract (forget what it is called today). Was called CM then SCM? (tab on the main metalink page after login - sorry don't have access to it at the moment).

Anything that cannot be removed, which means it is a CORE piece of the product, IMProfessionalO should be included in any licensing agreement.