Re: Log files tuning

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 17:56:42 +0200

Michael Austin schreef:
> ddf wrote:

>>> You do not need EM to tune your database nor do you have to have a
>>> license for the EM Performance Pack so that you can use the AWR. You
>>> can tune the database using SQLPlus, statspack, and the information
>>> available to you in the Oracle Performance and Tuning manual, the
>>> Oracle version# Reference manual, and the DBA Administration manual.
>>>
>>> You can install and configure EM to access your UNIX server based
>>> Oracle databases if you wish. EM is a nice product but it is only a
>>> tool and sometimes the designers lowest common denominator approach
>>> does not result in the best advice being issued from some of the EM
>>> features. Unless the pricing has changed on the Performance packs it
>>> is also expensive.
>>>
>>> The fact that you database is rapidly growing may be a space
>>> management issue, and will likely be an applicaiton SQL tunign issue,
>>> but is not in itself a database tuning issue. There are several rdbms
>>> data dictionary views that exist to help manage space including:
>>> dba_segments, dba_data_files, dba_free_space, dba_extents, and
>>> dba_temp_files.
>>>
>>> The best advice anyone can give you is to read the Oracle manuals:
>>> Concepts, DBA Admin, Backup and Recovery, first few chapters of SQL
>>> manual, Performance and Tuning, and so on until you have read all the
>>> manuals that cover the features you use.
>>>
>>> There is no substitute for knowledge.
>>>
>>> HTH -- Mark D Powell --
>>
>> I do not find a 'Performance Pack' offered; I do find a 'Diagnostic
>> Pack' which provides access to the Automatic Workload Repository, and
>> that pack does require a license:
>>
>> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/license.111/b28287/options.htm#sthref67
>>

> A company that I am aware of had the DiagPack included for free because
> you cannot NOT install parts of it, nor can you remove it from 10g on...
> And the for new "phone-home" support to function, it must be installed -
> comes "free" with your support contract (forget what it is called
> today). Was called  CM then SCM? (tab on the main metalink page after
> login - sorry don't have access to it at the moment).
>
> Anything that cannot be removed, which means it is a CORE piece of the
> product, IMProfessionalO should be included in any licensing agreement.
>

>> David Fitzjarrell

Unfortunately, you have to pay for options when you use them. It may be so they can not be removed, but they can be disabled (e.g. through EM). An Oracle compliancy audit will check if they are disabled. If not, you'll have to bleed.

Shakespeare

Shakespeare Received on Thu Apr 30 2009 - 10:56:42 CDT

Original text of this message