Re: RMAN or Hot Backup

From: <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 16:26:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 2, 6:14 pm, rcyoung <rcyo..._at_aliconsultants.com> wrote:
> If you put ALL your trust in any "hot backup" then you are asking for
> trouble. Many times you can get by, but sooner or later you will run
> into a problem that only a "cold backup" can resolve. To borrow some
> lingo ...."Always have a COLD one on hand!".

I would tend to agree if your recommendation was more like "when possible get a periodic cold backup" to complement the rest of your backup and recovery environment.

I do get a cold one weekly on cloned disk space ... which could be used along with "all the archivelogs" ... but many people do not have either the disk space to hold a cold backup or the time to shutdown and start backup up. Received on Thu Apr 02 2009 - 18:26:29 CDT

Original text of this message