Re: Oralce 10gR2 Setup questions

From: jgar the jorrible <>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 15:14:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 31, 1:52 pm, Michael Austin <> wrote:
> jgar the jorrible wrote:
> > On Mar 30, 9:44 pm, bw <> wrote:
> >> It worked very well for many years.  C, D, E, F, G are different
> >> volumes on different physical drives to enhance repsonse time,
> >> reliability and recoverability.  Each volume will not be too big,
> >> probably around 80G, except the G which may house 2 or 3 copies of
> >> RMAN.
> > I've been getting around 10:1 compression with 10GR2 RMAN, complete
> > backup of 100G db takes an hour with a low-end SAN (saturating a
> > RAID-5 cache with data and backup on same device).
> Wow.. that is really slow... 5 years ago I was backing up (and had to
> retore once...) a more than 700G database in < 3.5 hrs. So on a well
> tuned SAN and OS, you should be doing better than 100GB/hr  Oh...
> wait... - Sorry... never mind... he is talking about Weendoze... not a
> real computer.

I'm on hp-ux Itanium, assuming the slowness is due to RAID-5 and cheapass  SAN (from when I was briefly watching it before it went production - middle of the night backup now, really doesn't pay to tune. I may be able to compare SAME soon, identical SAN, older pa-risc). So that should be a reasonable expectation for Weeniedos.

-- is bogus.
what about lolcatz?