Oralce 10gR2 Setup questions

From: bw <bw_at_abc.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 04:44:32 GMT

I have been running Oraclee 9.2 in WIndow2000 Server. I have the folowinf setup: Drive C: Oracle Home; Drive D: Tablespace for Data; Drive E: Tablespace for Index; Drive F: Archive redo Log; Drive G: RMAN Backup location. This database supports a busy on-line system with 24X7 update. The transactions are regular text data.

It worked very well for many years. C, D, E, F, G are different volumes on different physical drives to enhance repsonse time, reliability and recoverability. Each volume will not be too big, probably around 80G, except the G which may house 2 or 3 copies of RMAN. And we are upgrading to Oracl 10g R2 on Window 2003 very soon. We will be purchasing Blade Servers. Wonder if there is need to separate the database components as now.

If we are moving to SAN, do I need to carve the SAN similarly ? Do we need to separate Data and Index Tablspaces on different LUN (it then carved uder different physical drives). I heard that SAN have the Cache, and this steps may not be needed.

I probably set up the Flash Recovery Area in F drive to hold the Archive Logs. Should I use this area for RMAN files as well ? I recalled it was recommanded to separate Archived Logs and Rman files to make recoverability better.

I have one last questions on where I should place Oracle Home. If I install Oracle on drive D in SAN, what if the System drive C fails. After I reinstall WIndow 2003, do I just update the PATH to point to the Oracle Home in drive D in SAN, and recreate the instance using oradim ?

Thanks

BW Received on Mon Mar 30 2009 - 23:44:32 CDT

Original text of this message