Re: RMAN or Hot Backup

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 17:24:28 -0500

John Schaeffer wrote:
> We run RMAN. We have some people here that are fighting to stop using

They are morons and should be relieved of their duties and COMPETENT talent hired to replace them. And I have no problem telling any manager that to his face should he wish to speak with me. (email address is real).

> RMAN and move to Hot Backups. I prefer RMAN, but I'm curious on other
> opinions.......

Other options - NONE better than RMAN.

RMAN can do HOTBACKUPS (if your definition of HB is that the database is online and running while the backup is running)

Going back to the old script-based hotbackup is sheer idiocy. RMAN can do things HB can't - like cataloging the backup(s) and being able to restore only what is needed.

like:

From:
OracleŽ Database Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide 10g Release 2 (10.2)
Part Number B14191-01

Although datafile media recovery is the principal form of recovery, you can also use the RMAN BLOCKRECOVER command to perform block media recovery. Block media recovery recovers **an individual corrupt datablock or set of datablocks within a datafile.** In cases when a small number of blocks require media recovery, you can selectively restore and recover damaged blocks rather than whole datafiles.

and if you have 150G data files you have to restore the entire thing. Tell them to start using their brains. Idiots. Received on Thu Mar 26 2009 - 17:24:28 CDT

Original text of this message