Re: RMAN or Hot Backup

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 23:58:19 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:07:14 -0700, jgar the jorrible wrote:

> The only reason to use hot backups is if you have an expensive hardware
> solution such as triple mirroring, that can split off a mirror more
> rapidly than other ways of moving data around.

Not quite. There are open source backup products that do not work with RMAN and do work with hot backup mode. Examples of such software are Bacula and Amanda, both excellent pieces of software which can control robots, catalog backups and do most of the stuff that very expensive commercial backup pieces can do. If your company wants to cut costs and use open source, Bacula can be a real money saver. I know that RMAN is the mainstream, but hot backup can be cheaper. Much cheaper. On the other hand, backup system is the last system that I would consider for saving money.
Also, NetApp has snapshots which are not supported by RMAN. They also have a backup, based on hot backup mode, which can do quick snapshot backups for you. Hot backups are very useful.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com