Re: Is there a tool to allow users to build algorithms that are then run by database

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:34:08 +0100

On 18.03.2009 14:28, harry martin wrote:
> Using Oracle 10gR2 on unix Solaris.
>
> We have a database that has equipment tables, readings tables, and lookup
> tables associated with equipment. we will take both join them, apply
> algorithms to create a health index for each piece of equipment (e.g. take
> age, oil readings, etc, add, substract, mulitply various factors etc). The
> algorithms will be in form of SQL select statements with some functions
> etc. We can hardcode them, but the users are requesting the ability to
> view the algorithm, modify them, copy them and modify them, create new ones
> etc, and then have scritps use those algorithm to generate healt indexes.
>
> Is there a tool to allow non-programmers the ability to do that, that is
> create complex quieres that will populate columns and have those stored in
> the database and used by scripts or stored procedures.

If I read you correctly the concept is called "view".

You could provide a library of PL/SQL packages, procedures and / or functions and obfuscate them. So your customer can only write new PL/SQL code that uses yours but cannot alter it. Encapsulate all accesses to your schema in those procedures.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14261/wrap.htm#i2597

Cheers

        robert Received on Thu Mar 19 2009 - 09:34:08 CDT

Original text of this message