Re: Migrate from Oracle 9i to 10g on new Hardware

From: Walt <walt_askier_at_SHOESyahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 17:22:53 -0400

Brian Baumann wrote:
> We currently have Oracle 9i setup for our production environment. We
> would like to install 10g on new hardware and bring in the data from
> our 9i setup.
>
> Most of the documentation refers to either upgrading in place or just
> fresh installs.

One way to do it: Export -> Import

  1. Install 10g on new hardware.
  2. Perform a full export of the old database.
  3. Import that into the new database.

This has the advantage that it's non-destructive, i.e. the old server is unchanged by the operation. If things go bad, it's exactly as it was before you started. Also, you can "practice" the process in advance without affecting the production environment.

The downside is that some system tables get new values, in particular the create date for all your objects will be the date of import. Maybe preserving this info is important, maybe it isn't.

The other main way to do it is to upgrade your current hardware to 10g, install 10g on the new hardware, and then copy the various files over. The disadvantage here is that if the upgrade goes snake you've hosed your production environment.

//Walt Received on Wed Mar 11 2009 - 16:22:53 CDT

Original text of this message