Re: Which SQL is the best for servers?

From: Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 18:01:51 -0500

Geoff Muldoon wrote:
> Jerry Stuckle says...
>> pg wrote:

>>> The server would run Linux or one of the BSD variant

>> You also missed DB2, SQL Server and several others.

> Scrap MSSQL Server as a candidate given the above O/S requirement.
>
> Geoff M
>
> Running 3 RHEL4 boxes in an Oracle RAC cluster, with web interfaces
> (RHEL5/Apache/php) on separate VMWare ESX gear.

The OS should be picked based on the requirements of the database and rest of the system, not vice versa.

I'm not saying I'm recommending SQL Server (or any other RDBMS for that matter). But determining the hardware and OS before the rest of the requirements are determined places artificial limits on the rest of the system.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address