Re: Which SQL is the best for servers?

From: Jack <none_at_INVALIDmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 06:38:11 GMT

"pg" <penang_at_catholic.org> wrote in message news:dd9edcff-7d7f-49ca-bddd-2b7bba050310_at_l33g2000pri.googlegroups.com...
>I am involved with a SQL server project. The server would be used in a
> very heavy duty environment, with hundreds of thousands, if not
> millions of database enquiries per minutes.
>
> The server would run Linux or one of the BSD variant, with at least
> 32GB of RAM. We are not very certain of the hardware specs yet because
> we haven't decided on which SQL to use.
>
> I know that Oracle, MySQL and PostgreSQL are all designed for heavy
> duty uses.
>
> And I checked all available online resources for a SQL comparison and
> all I could find is some articles dated 2005 or so !
>
> So, here's my questions:
>
> 1. Are there any recent SQL comparison article available?
>
> 2. Since the server may come with only 32GB of RAM, which SQL can run
> the "leanest" - that is, not a memory hog?
>
> 3. The server might also become a web-server, which SQL can tie itself
> to the Web-based enquiry they best?
>
> Please give me your suggestion / opinion. Thank you !!
Hi!

Well, use Oracle database. If needed use RAC/GRID, if you really have so heavy dyty usage ;)
But you could try with single server. (and later take GRID and add more nodes, if usage growns)

Do not put web-server into same box (server) as database.

HTH
Jack Received on Mon Feb 16 2009 - 00:38:11 CST

Original text of this message