Re: an honest post about being an oracle ace

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 00:07:36 +1100

Mladen Gogala wrote,on my timestamp of 4/02/2009 9:13 PM:

> can control. The only thing that I can dismiss as sheer madness is so
> called "stretch cluster", of the sort that Nuno described above. There
> is simply no way that a major RAC db can function across the Pacific.
> Across the Red Sea, maybe, with some splitters between the nodes, but
> not across the Pacific. RAC can be a good thing if you have a good DBA
> and some good developers.

I was even willing to consider attempting a faster, duplexed connection, and separate processing, whereby US would take one set of nodes, AUS another, then somewhere in the middle we'd have interface tables loaded once a day or so with summary data. Likely MVs.
Then they decided to go HP/UX and 11g, while we're AIX and 10.2.0.3. That really threw the baby out with the bathwater: no way that can work in any shape or format across such a big expanse and still be manageable and maintainable! NO way, as much as I'd like to play with RAC again! Can you imagine just trying to get a set of compatible patches that would stabilize such an environment? Received on Wed Feb 04 2009 - 07:07:36 CST

Original text of this message