Re: asm and multiple databases

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 00:02:06 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 3, 10:16 pm, helter skelter <helterskel..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> sybra..._at_hccnet.nl pisze:
>

> > On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 07:40:10 +0100, helter skelter
> > <helterskel..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Hi,
>
> >> I've got two database on different servers which have the same name - ORCL
> >> Then, I've got clustered ASM with one disk group which is available on
> >> this servers.
>
> >> I know that ASM naming standard is
> >> "+diskgroup_name/DATABASE_NAME/database file
> >> type/tag_name.file_number.incarnation"
> >> and I would like to know is that possible to use this group for both
> >> database (when database name are the same) ?
>
> >> thnaks
>
> > An obvious rhetorical question.
>
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA
>
> And answer for this  rhetorical question is ...? :)

Yes, because ASM file numbers will be different for different database files, even though they all will go under the same +dg/ORCL/ "directory". But why didn't you change the db names from their default? Not enough challenges? ;)

Regards,

   Vladimir M. Zakharychev
   N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)    http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Wed Feb 04 2009 - 02:02:06 CST

Original text of this message