Re: "direct path write" wait event

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 10:14:32 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 18:22:17 -0800, shweta.kaparwan wrote:

> Also we use "dedicated server" :
>
> SQL> select distinct(server) from v$session;
>
> SERVER
> ---------
> DEDICATED
Dedicated servers, shared servers and connection pooling (11g) mainly differ by how processes allocate memory and how they are scheduled. This doesn't have much to do with direct disk reads or writes. It is true, however, that with shared servers all I/O is done through SGA. As a matter of fact, switching to shared servers would be a great way of getting yourself rid of the direct I/O. It would not eliminate it, it would just make it buffered and blur the statistics. No performance gain is to be expected, you would learn the error code 4031 very, very well, but there would be no direct I/O.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com