Re: moving 10GR2 from server 2003 32bit to server 2008 64 bit - best method?

From: Cristian Cudizio <cristian.cudizio_at_yahoo.it>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 00:30:58 -0800 (PST)

On 23 Gen, 12:59, Charles Hooper <hooperc2..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jan 22, 11:15 pm, GS <g..._at_gs.com> wrote:
>
> > GS wrote:
> > Never mind, had a look and its nice to see Dizwell back up..
>
> > Now I'm a bit concerned, but we've been testing a copy of the prod
> > database for awhile now with no ill effects so far, but we're not using
> > large pages either. We are upgrading the front end app so I created the
> > DB with pretty well the same memory parameters as the 32 bit server.
>
> We have been using large pages on Windows 2003 x64 running Oracle
> 10.2.0.2 for almost three years with few problems (need to be careful
> when moving large files on the server while the database instances are
> up).  You will likely find that there is a need to slightly increase
> the parameters affecting memory allocation when moving from 32 bit to
> 64 bit (64 bit requires a slightly larger SGA).
>
> The Windows documentation states that both the 32 bit version of
> Oracle 10g and the 64 bit version use 64 bit file offsets internally -
> it looks like the same applies to Oracle 9i R2:http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10500_01/server.920/a96530/migint...
> "The on-disk format for database data, redo, and undo is identical for
> the 32-bit and 64-bit installations of Oracle. The only internal
> structural differences between the 32-bit and 64-bit installations are
> the following:
> * The compiled format of PL/SQL is different. The instructions for how
> and when to recompile PL/SQL are provided in the appropriate chapters
> of this book.
> * The storage format of user-defined types is based on the release of
> Oracle that created the database. The existing storage format will be
> transparently converted to the correct format when necessary. User-
> defined types include object types, REFs, varrays, and nested tables."
>
> The same description is provided on page 1-8 here:http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B12037_01/server.101/b10763.pdf
>
> The documentation seems to indicate that the conversion should be
> fairly easy.
>
> In addition to emp/imp, expdp and impdp also work well (at least
> easier than retyping all of the information currently in the
> database).
>
> Charles Hooper
> IT Manager/Oracle DBA
> K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.

Now i ask: why is HJR complaining that his Oracle on Win 64 bit is broken?
maybe a problem of 10.2.0.4?

With 10.2.0.2 on Win 32 i've chronic problems of ORA-04030 that make me
think that also in that version there is same problem in memory management
between Oracle and Win.

Regards,
 Cristian Received on Mon Jan 26 2009 - 02:30:58 CST

Original text of this message