Re: moving 10GR2 from server 2003 32bit to server 2008 64 bit - best method?

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 04:43:45 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 26, 3:30 am, Cristian Cudizio <cristian.cudi..._at_yahoo.it> wrote:
> On 23 Gen, 12:59, Charles Hooper <hooperc2..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> > We have been using large pages on Windows 2003 x64 running Oracle
> > 10.2.0.2 for almost three years with few problems (need to be careful
> > when moving large files on the server while the database instances are
> > up).  You will likely find that there is a need to slightly increase
> > the parameters affecting memory allocation when moving from 32 bit to
> > 64 bit (64 bit requires a slightly larger SGA).
>
> > Charles Hooper
> > IT Manager/Oracle DBA
> > K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.
>
> Now i ask: why is HJR complaining  that his Oracle on Win 64 bit is
> broken?
> maybe a problem of 10.2.0.4?
>
> With 10.2.0.2 on Win 32 i've chronic problems of ORA-04030 that make
> me
> think that also in that version there is same problem in memory
> management
> between Oracle and Win.
>
> Regards,
>  Cristian

I wondered that a bit myself - with any luck Howard might comment here regarding the problem. From previous posts on his blog he is using AMD processors and has previously reported in this group that there are (or were) Oracle bugs which only affect servers with 64 bit AMD processors. A CPU from AMD is apparently not identical enough to the like Intel CPUs for the operating system. Case in point: "XP Service Pack 3 Kills AMD Machines"
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-XP-SP3,5334.html

I believe in one of his blog posts that he mentioned one of the problems with large pages appears when multiple instances are running on the same server, and that might be another contributor (multiple processes all trying to obtain large contiguous in-memory 4MB regions) [Large page size: 2,097,152; Large page request size: 4,194,304].

Interestingly enough, one of the IT people here was investigating a memory consumption problem with Microsoft Exchange 2007 and pointed me to this web page which is possibly related to one of the problems I indicated in a previous post in this thread: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920739
"For example, if you are copying a file that is 1 GB, 500 MB of the file is copied to the cache before the Cache Manager starts flushing the dirty pages. Flushing 500 MB of dirty pages causes several page faults. These page faults must be committed to the disk. When this occurs, it can cause bottlenecks on slow disks."

I guess that the above explains why Windows still steals 500MB+ of system memory for file cache purposes when Windows has been instructed through the GUI to minimize memory used for file caching (mentioned as a problem in my previous post).

The ORA-04030 error that you are encountering possibly means that the Oracle process, as shown in Task Manager, is bumping into the 32 bit maximum of 2GB per process, which may be raised to roughly 3GB with 4GB tuning (odd name, see Metalink for the procedure).

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Mon Jan 26 2009 - 06:43:45 CST

Original text of this message