quick question on cloning and patch levels..

From: GS <gs_at_gs.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:07:54 GMT
Message-ID: <uIMbl.5152$PH1.2579_at_edtnps82>

Was going to open an SR for this, but time is tight so:

The situation -

Server running production database on 9ir2 is in a degraded state so I am moving database over to new hardware imminently.

Same platform more or less, a bit more RAM and CPU, windows 2003 server etc.. was going to migrate to 10G on server 2008 on this hardware but am delaying in order to expedite this.

Installing Oracle and patching to, create instance and restore from latest online backup by copying files over and recreating control files, recover from backup controlfile until cancel, apply redo up till latest then shutdown production and apply the last redo log.

Now, since I am at different patch level (0.6 to 0.8) I am thinking that I just bounce the db, startup migrate and run the catpatch.sql etc. and   I am good to go.

Otherwise I just patch to 0.6 to save time and wait until 10G migration later this year. Trouble is I think 0.6 patch is gone, so if I do the above step all should be ok, correct?

thanks in advance Received on Thu Jan 15 2009 - 14:07:54 CST

Original text of this message