Re: quick question on cloning and patch levels..

From: bdbafh <>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 08:46:07 -0800 (PST)
Message-ID: <>

On Jan 15, 3:07 pm, GS <> wrote:
> Was going to open an SR for this, but time is tight so:
> The situation -
> Server running production database on 9ir2 is in a degraded state so I
> am moving database over to new hardware imminently.
> Same platform more or less, a bit more RAM and CPU, windows 2003 server
> etc.. was going to migrate to 10G on server 2008 on this hardware but am
> delaying in order to expedite this.
> Installing Oracle and patching to, create instance and restore
> from latest online backup by copying files over and recreating control
> files, recover from backup controlfile until cancel, apply redo up till
> latest then shutdown production and apply the last redo log.
> Now, since I am at different patch level (0.6 to 0.8) I am thinking that
> I just bounce the db, startup migrate and run the catpatch.sql etc. and
>   I am good to go.
> Otherwise I just patch to 0.6 to save time and wait until 10G migration
> later this year. Trouble is I think 0.6 patch is gone, so if I do the
> above step all should be ok, correct?
> thanks in advance

If you are going to restore a cold (cleanly shutdown, consistent) backup set, then upgrading to the binaries will be straightforward. Go for it.
If you are going to restore a fuzzy backup (rman db backup of an open database, hot physical) and apply archived redo logs during media recovery, then using anything other than the same patchset level may cause problems.

A complete test run would prove it in your environment.


-bdbafh Received on Fri Jan 16 2009 - 10:46:07 CST

Original text of this message