Re: Application "deployment" tool?

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 06:13:17 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 4, 2:00 pm, Jeremy <jeremy0..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> With multiple databases (all Oracle 10gR2) and a single version of
> application code (pl/sql plus css, images etc - it is a web
> application)) can anyone suggest any good tools for managing the release
> and "build" of each database we have to upgrade? Ideally somthing that
> ties in with SVN would be fantastic.
>
> If not can anyone point me to any good resources for "best practise" in
> managing software upgrades?
>
> Many thanks
> jeremy
>
> --
> jeremy

Are there multiple operating systems in play or just one? If only one ... which one?

How many different sites and databases/applications are around?

You probably want to script it in some manner or put together an installer application of some kind. If you are going cross platform ( linux/unix along with windows etc ) then a java based installation routine may be the way to go.

Best practices would involve your organization setting up a team approach and making sure that your organization has enough resources so that you practice what you preach. As you develop at certain points you install your changes into your own internal resources the same way that you release to external customers ... in other words eating your own dog food.

Turn over the install and testing responsibilities to some set of people that don't have any development responsibilities. Get them to do the quality assurance part and provide feedback.

It is going to take a big commitment to get all this right. It needs to be driven from management down ... with a commitment to the resources and investments required. Swimming it uphill probably won't work well. Received on Mon Jan 05 2009 - 08:13:17 CST

Original text of this message