Re: When should one rebuild an index?

From: Matthias Hoys <anti_at_spam.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 15:30:02 +0100

"Robert Klemme" <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com> wrote in message news:6rmkd3F2ci8hU1_at_mid.individual.net...
> On 27.12.2008 06:53, DA Morgan wrote:
>
>> If you truly want to know when to rebuild indexes read Richard's
>> comments. Read Jonathan Lewis' comments. And learn wield SYS_OP_LBID.
>
> Maybe we need something like BAARF for index rebuilding - or even rebrand
> BAARF to "battle against any rebuild flapdoodle".
>
>> Tom Kyte finally managed to make an impact with respect to bind
>> variables after carrying the torch for it seems like a decade.
>
> That's the bad side of internet not forgetting anything, especially if
> someone seems to be more proficient in search engine tuning of his pages
> than in dealing with Oracle on a scientific basis. :-)
>
>> Can
>> anyone put this index rebuild nonsense into the rubbish bin where
>> it belongs? Please!
>
> But don't forget "PURGE DBA_RECYCLEBIN" afterwards! ;-)
>
> Cheers
>
> robert

I believe that there are still valid reasons for rebuilding indexes, for example when you remove a large amount of rows from a table, and you are sure that table will never grow to the same size anymore (failed batch load caused by programming errors etc.). Or not ? Received on Sat Dec 27 2008 - 08:30:02 CST

Original text of this message