Re: TDE

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:58:53 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 19, 8:54 am, Chuck <chuckh1958_nos..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I just read an oracle white paper on transparent data encryption in
> 10gR2. It states that decryption occurs at the SQL layer. Doesn't that
> mean that the data will be decrypted *before* it's transmitted over the
> network to a client? I would think that defeats part of the goal of
> encryption if it's not done at the client. Am I misunderstanding something?
>
> Quoted from the white paper...
>
> "TDE encrypts data before it's written to disk and decrypts data before
> it is returned to the application. The encryption and decryption process
> is performed at the SQL layer, completely transparent to applications
> and users."

Yeah, encryption so transparent no one knows it is there - even the bad guys! :-D

The purpose is so people can't easily grab a backup and look at the data.

For sqlnet, search docs for ENCRYPTION_CLIENT and see http://www.psoug.org/reference/net_services.html

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Because people really are that stupid with backups: