TDE

From: Chuck <chuckh1958_nospam_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 16:54:53 GMT

I just read an oracle white paper on transparent data encryption in 10gR2. It states that decryption occurs at the SQL layer. Doesn't that mean that the data will be decrypted *before* it's transmitted over the network to a client? I would think that defeats part of the goal of encryption if it's not done at the client. Am I misunderstanding something?

Quoted from the white paper...

"TDE encrypts data before it's written to disk and decrypts data before it is returned to the application. The encryption and decryption process is performed at the SQL layer, completely transparent to applications and users." Received on Fri Dec 19 2008 - 10:54:53 CST

Original text of this message