From: Michael Austin <>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 20:31:23 -0600

hpuxrac wrote:
> On Dec 13, 9:26 pm, Michael Austin <> wrote:

>> Can anyone share performance impressions when using ASM with SVC or even
>>   9i(yeah we know...) cooked file systems?
>> We currently have the impression that SVC can only return data in 32k
>> chunks regardless of I/O setting at the OS (Solaris, AIX and HPUX) and
>> or storage parameters in Oracle causing additional I/O traffic.
>> Just curious.

> Back in my old IBM days SVC was a SuperVisor Call ... what are you
> talking about exactly?
> Is this some kind of storage? ( We are an EMC shop ... so no clue ).

ahh yes.. more acronyms...

SVC=SAN Volume Controller.
I am just trying to figure it out but have been told you can think of it as an array agnostic filer - similar to NetApp, but will work with any storage. Essentially this "controller (cluster)" is a gateway between your server and your storage whereby you can have any vendors arrays behind it and it presents logical LUNS to your server and it handles all of the I/O.

Do a quick google search on IBM SVC architecture. Received on Sun Dec 14 2008 - 20:31:23 CST

Original text of this message