Re: Hit 4GB file size limit in Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 on W2003

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 04:44:50 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 12, 5:52 am, stephenmor..._at_btinternet.com wrote:
> Please could anybody help.  A friend has a corrupted database.  She
> has execeed 4GB on the size of a datafile.  She has been told she will
> need patch 2585700 and will have to restore her database.  I must
> admit I was not aware of this problem.
>
> I would be gratefull for any information, if anybody has experience of
> this problem.  She want to be sure she is doing the right thing to
> solve the problem.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best wishes, Stephen.

Something does not seem correct. There is a 4GB per partition limit if the hard drive is formatted with the old style FAT type format, and a 4GB per file limit if the hard drive is formatted with a FAT32 type format. If the hard drive is formatted with a NTFS type format, the maximum data file size is limited by the maximum number of blocks permitted by Oracle, about 4 million blocks, and if the database is using an 8KB block size, that limits the maximum data file size to about 32GB on Oracle 9.2.0.1 when running on Windows 2003: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96536/ch43.htm#287916

A search of Metalink does not find that patch number, but an advanced search does find bug 2585700 which is apparently fixed in Oracle 9.0.1.4.0 and in 9.2.0.2. So, it appears that your friend needs a Metalink account to download the 9.2.0.2 or a more recent patch set.

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Fri Dec 12 2008 - 06:44:50 CST

Original text of this message