Re: Crash recovery after shutdown immediate?

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 05:32:01 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 9, 4:05 am, Helma <helma.vi..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello *,
>
> Odd problem i had after i had shut down the database (immediate) and
> made a media copy. After restoring and opening with resetlogs, the
> database stated it wanted a recovery. After i did a recover until
> cancel, and cancelled immediately on first occasion, the database
> started.
>
> I ignored this incident, but now i am curious about this entry in the
> logfile. Yesterday, i did again a shutdown immediate ( i never do
> abort) ,  made a copy of the database and restarted the database. In
> the errorlog, it seems that a crash recovery occured. This shoudn't
> happen? What am i missing?
>
> ALTER DATABASE OPEN
> Mon Dec  8 18:03:40 2008
> Beginning crash recovery of 1 threads
> Mon Dec  8 18:03:40 2008
> Started redo scan
> Mon Dec  8 18:03:40 2008
> Completed redo scan
>  156 redo blocks read, 66 data blocks need recovery
> Mon Dec  8 18:03:40 2008
> Started recovery at
>  Thread 1: logseq 58, block 16913, scn 0.0
> Mon Dec  8 18:03:40 2008
> Recovery of Online Redo Log: Thread 1 Group 3 Seq 58 Reading mem 0
>   Mem# 0 errs 0: /oracle/log_a/xxx/log3A.log
>   Mem# 1 errs 0: /oracle/log_b/xxx/log3B.log
> Mon Dec  8 18:03:40 2008
> Completed redo application
> Mon Dec  8 18:03:41 2008
> Ended recovery at
>  Thread 1: logseq 58, block 17069, scn 0.4242238601
>  66 data blocks read, 66 data blocks written, 156 redo blocks read
> Crash recovery completed successfully

Where's the log output from the shutdown immediate that you are claiming completed successfully?

My shot in the dark is that you either did not get a good shutdown ( but asssumed that you did ) ... or that you restored something ( else ) that was not from a clean shutdown. Received on Tue Dec 09 2008 - 07:32:01 CST

Original text of this message