Oracle Database Backup

From: <navneel.singh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 20:50:36 -0800 (PST)

Hi, I am running an oracle 10G database on a suse OS and i have been assigned with the job of backing the DB. Now i, donot have enough space in the flash Recovery Area to carry out this tasks so i have been presented with a solution to backup the DB onto another machine. What happens here is that a SAN disk group which is presented to a Windows machine, will be mapped to the Linux box where the DB is being hosted and iam expected to do a direct backup of the DB onto that mapped disk drive.

What i need help on is, what are the risk(s) associated with doing such backup and if it is advisiable to carry out such activity in this manner.

What i had initally proposed was if the disks in the SAN drive can be assigned to the DB hosting machine and once the backup is done, the backup file can be pushed to the windows machine from where it will be backed up onto tapes. The disadvantage here is that we will be wasting disk space as it will be redundant.

If anyone can let me know which method would be the best to carry out this task with minimum associated risks.

Thanks. Received on Tue Dec 02 2008 - 22:50:36 CST

Original text of this message