Re: Oracle listener redirect configure help

From: ddf <>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 13:44:26 -0800 (PST)

Comments embedded.
On Dec 2, 3:03 pm, TeamGracie <> wrote:
> Hello Folks,
> I have a question about the Oracle listener configuration.  When a
> listener is configured, and a DNS name is used to populate the
> Hostfield, is it possible to put a DNS name in the hostfield, that is
> not replaced by its resolved IP address before it leaves the server?

Why would you want to do that? Unresolved DNS names would cause the listener to fail as no valid adderss would exist upon which to listen for connections.

> For instance-
> I would like the redirect packet to contain the fields:  protocol=TCP
> hostfield: port=15121
> When the packet leaves the server and hits its host, I would like the
> hostfield to still read the dns name, instead of the resolved IP
> address.
> Is this possible?

> Also, would it be possible to set up a listener to include an IP
> address in the hostfield that is not a valid routed IP addy?  So, if I
> wanted the redirect packet to contain an IP address that was not known
> by the server, could I do this?

No, the listener would have no valid address upon which to listen. Your users would likely receive a "TNS-12541: no listener" error.

> Thanks for the valued info guys / gals.
> -BWS
Of course you could test this on your own and post the results, as none of us has a listener configuration to be tampered with.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Dec 02 2008 - 15:44:26 CST

Original text of this message